Rosa Maria Hernandez, an undocumented ten-year-old girl with cerebral palsy, was released by the government after a lawsuit by the ACLU. She was detained illegally after being taken to the hospital for emergency surgery. Thank you to everyone who pushed for her release!
1. Remember to vote tomorrow! Remind your friends and family to vote, too! Find your polling place here.
2. Don’t forget your photo ID! Virginia requires a valid photo ID in order to vote. This can be a driver’s license, student ID, or other approved photo ID such as a Voter Photo ID card. You can stop by the registrar’s office at Staunton City Hall to get a Voter Photo ID card in case you don’t have another form of ID. Shoutout to Spread The Vote for helping so many people like Chelsea get their ID to vote! Video here.
3. Volunteers still needed at the polls — to volunteer, contact Marney Gibbs: 540-255-2253
4. EVENT: Election Night Party for Michelle Edwards, White Star Tavern, 7-10 PM. More info here.
5. EVENT: Reflections on a Year of Trump — join us on Wednesday from 12-2 at the By and By for a meetup. Vent, connect, remember those we’ve lost, and look to the future. More info here.
5. EVENT: Community Visioning Project, Thurs Nov 9th, 6-8:30 PM at Staunton Public Library: This will be a potluck meeting to report on progress we have made in our committees over the last month. The first 45 minutes will be spent eating and networking. From 7:15-8:30 we will hear committee reports. If you are not yet a part of a committee and would like to join one this would be the perfect opportunity. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out.
6. EVENT: Native Americans of the Shenandoah Valley: Thursday Nov 9th from 7-8 PM at Miller Chapel, MBU campus. “Please join us as we welcome archaeologist Dr. Carole Nash to MBU. She will give a lecture entitled “Between Cenuntua and Savanae: The Native Americans of the Shenandoah Valley” in celebration of Native American Heritage Month. Coffee and light refreshments will be served. This event is sponsored by Sociology and Anthropology, History, and Latin American and Francophone studies. Free and open to the public!” More info and a map of the MBU campus here.
7. EVENT: Unity March Staunton, Saturday Nov 11th 12:30-2:30, starting at 261 N Central Ave: Pastors Roger West, Greg Mayo and Bishop TE Payne, Sr will be holding a march for prayer, reconciliation and healing. More info here.