We’re a bit late getting this one out today, folks! Sorry about that!
1. CONTACT GOODLATTE: Goodlatte voted yes to pass the “Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act” through the House. This would put a ban on abortions after 20 weeks, with the only exceptions rape, incest, and the life of the mother (not the health of the mother). Despite the name, the science on fetal pain indicates that the systems that allow one to feel and be conscious of pain don’t even develop until 28-29 weeks. This bill pretends humane concern but is anti-science and anti-choice. Tell Goodlatte you do not approve of his vote.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _____ and my zip code is _____. I am contacting Rep. Goodlatte today to express my strong disapproval of him voting yes on the so-called ‘Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act.’ This bill is not supported by science and is a thinly disguised attempt to strip away vital reproductive rights and bodily autonomy. I will remember this vote when I next visit the polls.”
2. CONTACT OUR SENATORS: Tell Senators Kaine and Warner to vote no on this bill when it reaches the Senate.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit Comment” form is here
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _____ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting Senator [NAME] today to express my concern over the so-called ‘Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act’ which has passed the House. It’s based on bad science and is bad for reproductive rights and health. Please vote NO on this bill. Thank you.”
3. REMINDER: Last day to register to vote in the upcoming election is fast approaching!!! Check to make sure you’re registered and have a valid photo ID!!!
4. EVENT: Postcard Party, Tuesday 10/17 at 9 AM at the French Press in Waynesboro — We’ll be meeting there to chat, writer letters and postcards to Democrat/liberal voters as part of Plus 3, and write to our elected officials. Please join us!
5. EVENT: Goodlatte Open Door Meeting, Waynesboro Public Library, Tuesday 10/17 from 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM — come give Goodlatte’s staff your letters, concerns, and feedback!