1. CONTACT CONGRESS: Tell our members of Congress to REPEAL the Jones Act!
Remember our action from 9/27? Well, the Trump administration waived the Jones Act for just 10 days to allow foreign vessels to bring aid to Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. 10 days is not enough — with ongoing rescue efforts, little food and water, and people dying in ICU without power, the US territories need help desperately. It’s time for our government to stop treating our territories like colonies and treat this crisis with the same speed and urgency as they did Florida and Texas. We’re asking you to take action again and call for the repeal of the Jones Act.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit Comment” form is here.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I am contacting [NAME] today to urge him to join Senator John McCain in calling for a repeal of the Jones Act, which essentially extorts Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands by forcing them to pay more in order to accept foreign aid in the name of ‘national security.’ It’s time to stop treating the US territories like colonies and respond to this situation with the same urgency our government did in Texas and Florida. In the senator’s words, ‘Now, more than ever, it is time to realize the devastating effect of this policy and implement a full repeal of this archaic and burdensome Act.’ Thank you.”
2. PERSONAL ACTION: Talk to a friend or family member about the devastation in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands this week. Don’t let this disaster fade from the public mind. If you can, tell them about the Jones Act and why we need to repeal it — encourage them to get involved and contact our Congressmen!
3. EVENT: Do Your Job, Bob! rally on Friday, 10 am – 2 pm
Do Your Job, Bob! is a weekly demonstration that takes place outside of Bob Goodlatte’s regional offices across the district. Show up if you’re able to tell Goodlatte that we’re here, we’re paying attention, and we won’t go away.