1. Jared Kushner is implicated in the meeting between Donald Trump, Jr., himself, then-campaign manager Paul Manafort, and a Kremlin-linked Russian lawyer. Before that, he met with Russian Ambassador Kislyak and the head of a Russian bank, and failed to disclose those meetings on his disclosure forms. Additionally, he has little to no qualifications for the vast array of responsibilities he has been given. His appointment is a clear example of nepotism at work, and he may be compromised by Russia. Jared Kushner’s security clearance should be revoked, as he is neither qualified nor trustworthy.
- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence: 202-224-1700
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _____ and I am a constituent from ______. I am extremely troubled by Jared Kushner’s failure to disclose multiple meetings with officials related to the Russian government. The email release from Donald Trump, Jr. in which he reveals that Kushner was at a meeting with a Kremlin-linked lawyer only deepens my conviction that Kushner is embroiled in collusion and scandal and should not be trusted with high-level security clearance. Please act to revoke Jared Kushner’s security clearance for the safety of this country.”
2. If you navigate to 5calls.org right now, you will see that their main page is tracking Trumpcare votes — answers that constituents have gotten from senators. Warner and Kaine are in the “no” column. While the impact of contacting senators outside our state is dubious, it is also important to thank our senators for standing against Trumpcare. Contact them to thank them for voting no.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit Comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _____ and my zip code is _____. I am contacting the senator today to express my gratitude that he is committed to voting against Trumpcare. The ACA is a step forward for a broken healthcare system. I also urge him to advocate for a bipartisan repair of the ACA. Thank you.”
3. Upcoming event: Moral Monday at Men’s Green Thumb Park — Monday evening at 6, bring your signs and resistance spirit for a weekly protest at a highly visible location in Staunton!
4. Upcoming event: Open Door Meeting at Waynesboro Public Library, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM — This is in the middle of the day, but if you can manage it, please come! Goodlatte’s staff will be present to field our questions and note down our concerns. We’ve heard stories from other parts of the district that have been forced to meet one-on-one with the staffers, rather than in a large group. But if we show up in numbers, this tactic would be less feasible. After the meeting, we will also be holding a short session on how to train to register people to vote! If you can stick around for a little while afterwards, the training video is only about 15 minutes.