1. From EndIsolation.org: As communities across the country continue to discuss how they can work together to end the isolation of people in immigration detention, the idea of pen pals keeps surfacing. While there are over 40 visitation programs across the country, there remain over 200 detention facilities without a visitation program. CIVIC’s Pen Pal Program is designed to connect volunteers in any part of the country with people in immigration detention who do not yet have visitors. To become a volunteer with CIVIC’s Pen Pal Program, you must be 18 years or older. The Pen Pal Program is open to non-U.S. citizens and undocumented individuals. Find out more about becoming a pen pal here.
2. Contact our members of Congress and speak up in favor of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), an independent watchdog agency that protects ordinary people from the excesses of banks, foreclosure firms, payday lenders, and other financial institutions. The brainchild of now-senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, the CFPB was created in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis. (Source: Washington Post). The Republicans have been gunning for it for years, and as you can imagine, the financial industry isn’t too fond of it, either. The world of personal finance is complex and it’s only going to get more complex. The CFPB does vital work for citizens who are wronged by financial corporations large and small.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit Comment” form is here.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _____ and my zip code is _____. I am contacting Senator/Representative _____________ to fight any efforts to dismantle the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. It is an independent watchdog that provides financial education and aids ordinary people who have been hurt by banks, payday lenders, mortgage companies, credit score companies, and other financial entities whose mistakes can ruin lives. The CFPB has done good in its short existence. Please defend it from any efforts to render it useless.”
3. EVENT – 6-7pm – Moral Monday – Men’s Green Thumb Park. Gather at the intersection of Rt 11 and Rt 250 and bring your protest signs. Bring a friend, bring your family, bring your desire to effect change.