1. Most of our healthcare related AOs have been focused exclusively on blocking the AHCA and BCRA, so this time we are including a step farther and including a request that our senators don’t just fight against those bills, but that they also fight to improve the ACA, and Medicare. Contact our senators and keep the pressure up.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit Comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _____ and my zip code is _____. I’m contacting the Senator to thank him for opposing TrumpCare and to encourage him to pursue efforts to make the Affordable Care Act stronger. We still need to extend health care coverage to more Americans. This is an opportunity for Democrats to go on offense with better ideas such as a Medicare-for-All public option. The Republican plan to repeal the ACA is cruel and unacceptable, and the best way forward for the American people is to find a way to fix the ACA’s problems than introduce new ones. Thank you.”
2. Office of Government Ethics Director, Walter Shaub Jr., turned in his resignation on Thursday. The move follows months of clashes with the White House over issues such as President Trump’s refusal to divest his businesses and the administration’s delay in disclosing ethics waivers for appointees. [NPR article; NYT article]. Especially after Goodlatte made the news just after the election by trying to gut the House Ethics committee, it is important to contact him and tell him how important nonpartisan ethics oversight is to the proper functioning of government.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _____ and my zip code is _____. I am contacting Representative Goodlatte because I am concerned about the Office of Government Ethics. Non-partisan ethics are a basic tenet of democracy, and it is very telling that the Director of the OGE is leaving to join a non-partisan organization because he feels he could have more impact there. We have not forgotten that Goodlatte made the news just after the election by trying to gut the House Ethics committee. Having safeguards for ethics in our government is always vital, but in a presidency where the conflicts of interests and blithe disregard of established restrictions on emoluments and nepotism even more so. We are still watching and waiting for Representative to actually uphold the Constitution by holding Trump accountable. Thank you.”