1. Goodlatte has introduced 2 criminal justice bills [HR 3003 & HR 3004] with profound anti-immigrant effects. These bills are before the House this week, and may be voted on today. With everything else going on in Washington, these bills have received very little attention. For those interested in immigration reform that is humane and does not undermine public safety, it’s important that we contact Rep. Goodlatte to hold him accountable and to voice opposition to these bills. Reach out to his offices and tell him that mass deportation is unAmerican and makes us less safe, and that you oppose HR 3003 and 3004.
HR3003 “No Sanctuary for Criminals Act”– is an unconstitutional attack on state power which in a misguided attempt to “punish” sanctuary cities undermines local criminal prosecutions and will lead to the detention, perhaps indefinite, of new classes of immigrants.
HR 3004: “Kate’s Law” — Expands the government’s ability to prosecute illegal re-entry cases and heightens the penalties in these cases and does not include adequate protections for people who reenter the U.S. for humanitarian reasons or who seek protection at the border, putting asylum seekers and families at risk. National police organizations are on the record as opposing such measures, arguing it endangers public safety.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting Representative Goodlatte to express my frustration and disappointment with HR 3003 and 3004. These are both blatantly anti-immigrant bills, your constituents do not support them. Thank you.”
2. Unfortunately, fighting TrumpCare is still on our plates. Please make your daily contact with our senators’ offices to tell them to defend the ACA and to block TrumpCare any way they can.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting the senator to thank him for opposing the TrumpCare bill and to ask him to do everything he can to block it and save the ACA, using every tool available. We now have the CBO score, and aren’t just guessing that this bill would be devastating for millions, we know it. Our healthcare is not something on which we can afford to compromise. Please use every tool that you can to block this, including burying it in amendments and withholding his consent on all Senate business. Continuing the rest of senate business as usual allow TrumpCare supporters the upper hand. The numbers are in, and it is time to stop this bill in its tracks. Thank you.
3. EVENT – Health Care Vigil – Court Square H’burg – 7-8pm
In advance of the U.S. Senate potentially voting to cut access to healthcare to fellow residents in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County, Brent Finnegan is hosting a Health Care Vigil at 7pm on Wednesday. Of course, all interested people are encouraged to contact Senators to urge delay and rejection of this bill. The vigil is an opportunity to hear from people, families, and business owners who stand to lose life-saving access to basic care should this bill be passed. Brent Finnegan is a candidate for the 26th House of Delegates on the Nov 7th Election Day. He will share his concern for and commitment to residents of the district. Other organizations are encouraged to extend the invitation to this community event. Attendees are invited to the Artful Dodger after the vigil to continue the conversation.