1. The Protecting Access to Care Act of 2017 [HR 1215], would dramatically undermine patient protections against malpractice and medical error. The bill’s sponsors argue it’s to contain healthcare costs. The reality is that medical negligence suits contribute to only 0.5-1% of all medical costs. The real beneficiaries of HR 1215 would be pharmaceutical companies. The House is scheduled to vote on HR 1215 this week. Contact Goodlatte to ask him to vote no on HR 1215.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting Representative Goodlatte to express my opposition to HR 1215, the Protecting Access to Care Act of 2017. Reducing healthcare spending is an admirable policy goal, but it should not be achieved by eroding people’s legal protections against medical malpractice while shielding pharmaceutical companies from lawsuits over hastily-approved drugs. Please vote no when it comes to a vote. Thank you.”
2. This entire week we will be asking you to call in daily to our senators about protecting the ACA and doing everything they can to stop the TrumpCare plan from getting through the Senate. The two main ways that they can fight back against Trumpcare are by withholding consent and filibustering by amendment. The action opportunities on Sunday, 6/18 explain these tactics more fully. Please contact our senators and tell them to use these strategies to block TrumpCare and protect the ACA.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting the senator to ask him to do everything he can to block TrumpCare and save the ACA, using every tool available. I ask that he withhold his consent on all Senate business until we have hearings and a complete CBO score;
withholding consent on amendments, placing holds on nominations, and objecting to all unanimous consent requests until there are hearings and a complete CBO score. I also ask that the Senator prepare hundreds or thousands of amendments to offer during vote-a-rama. by filing thousands of amendments—and then calling each of them for a vote, debate is prolonged long enough to leave Republicans with no choice but to agree to hearings and a complete CBO score. Along with his colleagues, the senator can and should let the Republicans know they will offer amendments into the July 4 recess or longer, holding the floor with amendments as long as it takes to guarantee Americans can read the bill, see a CBO score, and that the Senate has hearings. Thank you.”
3. UPCOMING EVENT – Friday, June 23 from 3-4 at Charlottesville Union Station “Cville #Rally4Trains”
The presidents for fiscal year 2018 budget cuts 49% of funding for Virginia passenger rail service. Join Virginians for High Speed Rail, National Association of Railroad Passengers, Southern Environmental Law Center, and CVille Rail to rally in support of improving our passenger rail service not cutting it. The Facebook event is here.
4. UPCOMING EVENT – July 8th: Civil Disobedience Training: 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. at Augusta County Library. Over the course of the day, come to learn about civil disobedience and how you can #resist. From Friends of Augusta: “We will meet in the large meeting room in the basement (it is handicap accessible) to learn techniques of civil disobedience. This is a free event and everyone is welcome!”