1. This entire week we will be asking you to call in daily to our senators about protecting the ACA and doing everything they can to stop the TrumpCare plan from getting through the Senate. The two main ways that they can fight back against Trumpcare are by withholding consent and filibustering by amendment. The action opportunities on Sunday, 6/18 explain these tactics more fully. Please contact our senators and tell them to use these strategies to block TrumpCare and protect the ACA.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting the senator to ask him to do everything he can to block TrumpCare and save the ACA, using every tool available. I ask that he withhold his consent on all Senate business until we have hearings and a complete CBO score;
withholding consent on amendments, placing holds on nominations, and objecting to all unanimous consent requests until there are hearings and a complete CBO score. I also ask that the Senator prepare hundreds or thousands of amendments to offer during vote-a-rama. by filing thousands of amendments—and then calling each of them for a vote, debate is prolonged long enough to leave Republicans with no choice but to agree to hearings and a complete CBO score. Along with his colleagues, the senator can and should let the Republicans know they will offer amendments into the July 4 recess or longer, holding the floor with amendments as long as it takes to guarantee Americans can read the bill, see a CBO score, and that the Senate has hearings. Thank you.”
2. From 5calls.org: According to Everytown Research, 93 Americans are killed with guns on an average day. Common-sense gun control laws could prevent many of these deaths. Under current laws, domestic abusers and suspected terrorists—such as the shooter at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, who killed 49 and wounded 53 members of the LGBTQ community—are allowed to possess guns. In addition, convicted criminals can buy guns online or at gun shows because unlicensed private sellers aren’t required to perform background checks. The gun lobby has spent tens of millions of dollars (including more than 30 million on the Trump campaign, and $2,000 from the NRA to Goodlatte’s campaign this year already) to gain power in Washington DC. The NRA and gun manufacturers are now pushing Congress to pass the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, which would allow gun owners from states with loose (or no) restrictions on concealed carry permits to bring their concealed weapons into all other states, in effect overriding state laws that require safety courses or live-fire training for permit-seekers. America is a great nation, but a gun homicide rate that is twenty-five times higher than the average of all other developed countries is not something to be proud of. Research has shown that gun violence most frequently afflicts the most vulnerable groups among us, such as low-income people and minorities (National Crime Victimization Survey). One step in the right direction is the Disarm Hate Act [H.R. 2841] a bill that would prevent anyone previously convicted of misdemeanor hate crimes from purchasing a gun. Closing this loophole in current laws will keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people and prevent more acts of heinous violence. Contact Goodlatte and ask him to support the bill.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting the Congressman to urge him to support the Disarm Hate Act, H.R.2841. With mass shootings continuing to be a rampant problem in our country, we must take sensible, effective action to keep guns out of the wrong hands and prevent more heinous acts of violence. Thank you.”
3. EVENT – Monday – 6-7pm – Moral Monday – Men’s Green Thumb Park Gather at the intersection of Rt 11 and Rt 250 and bring your protest signs. Bring a friend, bring your family, bring your desire to affect change. Fired up about healthcare? Have strong feelings about the pipeline? Come on down with your signs!
4. UPCOMING EVENT – Goodlatte Open Door Meeting
Waynesboro Public Library, 11:30 AM- 1:00 PM
It is so important to show up and voice your concerns to the office of your representative. Bob won’t be there, but this is the official staff meeting that they make available, so we need to keep proving that we have concerns, and deserve to be heard. Use the time to demand an in person town hall, use the time to explain why the AHCA would be a disaster for Virginian and our country, use the time to speak about what is most important to you, but please do USE it. What is happening with the current White House administration is NOT normal, and now more than ever, we need to keep the pressure up.