1. This is a do-or-die moment on the ACA and our Democratic senators should be doing everything they can to stop this bill from getting through the Senate. It’s time to really play hardball to defeat TrumpCare. The Democrats aren’t in control, but they can still resist. There are two main ways that they can fight back against Trumpcare: Withholding consent and filibustering by amendment. Kaine and Warner can slow down Senate business, in part by “withholding consent.”
The rules of the Senate are so complicated that senators have to regularly consent to waiving some of them so that they can actually get work done. That includes shortening time for debates, expediting consideration of amendments, and scheduling committees. Your senator can slow the Senate down to a crawl and focus attention to TrumpCare by withholding his or her consent on legislative business. In regards to filibuster by amendment, the Republicans are using a special process called “reconciliation” to jam through TrumpCare. This means they only need 51 votes, instead of the usual 60, to pass it. But the trade-off is that they have to allow an unlimited number of amendments. Any Senator can file as many amendments as they want and then call them up for a vote on the Senate floor during a period called “vote-a-rama.” Democratic senators can and should plan thousands of amendments and keep them going until Republicans agree to have public hearings on the bill. Contact our senators and tell them to use these strategies to block TrumpCare and protect the ACA.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting the senator to ask him to do everything he can to block TrumpCare and save the ACA, using every tool available. I ask that he withhold his consent on all Senate business until we have hearings and a complete CBO score;
withholding consent on amendments, placing holds on nominations, and objecting to all unanimous consent requests until there are hearings and a complete CBO score. 23 million Americans’ healthcare, including 562,500 Virginians losing coverage is what is at stake. With that in mind, I also ask that the Senator prepare hundreds or thousands of amendments to offer during vote-a-rama. by filing thousands of amendments—and then calling each of them for a vote, debate is prolonged long enough to leave Republicans with no choice but to agree to hearings and a complete CBO score. Along with his colleagues, the senator can and should let the Republicans know they will offer amendments into the July 4 recess or longer, holding the floor with amendments as long as it takes to guarantee Americans can read the bill, see a CBO score, and that the Senate has hearings. Thank you.”
2. Coverage of the heinous human rights violations going on in Chechnya right now in regards to gay men has made the news. (Source: BBC) It has also made it to the floor of the House of Representatives, by way of a House Resolution, “Condemning the violence and persecution in Chechnya.” [H.Res 451]. Ask Goodlatte to sign HRes 351.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting the Congressman because I am deeply concerned about the welfare of gay men in Chechnya. As I’m sure you know, the government is imprisoning and torturing them and has killed at least three. A resolution moved to the House floor to assert their human rights. I very much want Representative Goodlatte to add his name to this Resolution. Thank you.”
3. UPCOMING EVENT – Monday – 6-7pm – Moral Monday – Men’s Green Thumb Park Gather at the intersection of Rt 11 and Rt 250 and bring your protest signs. Bring a friend, bring your family, bring your desire to affect change. Fired up about healthcare? Have strong feelings about the pipeline? Come on down with your signs!