1) From 5calls.org: While the Russia-Trump scandal has rocked the nation, Mitch McConnell and an all-male panel of 13 Republican Senators have been working in secret on a healthcare bill. Nobody knows what this bill looks like or how it differs from the House’s American Health Care Act, which would cause an estimated 23 million people to lose their health insurance by 2026. The GOP wants to keep it that way. McConnell and Republican Senators intend to submit their secret healthcare bill to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) without any committee hearings, discussions, bipartisan debate, or public comments. They will keep the bill’s contents secret until the CBO finishes scoring the legislation. This means they would only release the bill publicly two to three days before the final vote, which they plan to hold on or before June 30th (by contrast, Senate Democrats held over 30 Senate Finance Committee meetings to draft the Affordable Care Act and included their Republican colleagues in these meetings). We CAN do something about this: demand our Senators grind Senate business to a halt by withholding consent until Trumpcare gets a hearing, and urge Republican Senators to push their colleagues to draft their healthcare replacement openly and publicly. The American public deserves to know what is in the healthcare legislation.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manassas 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting the senator today because I’m furious by the Republican’s plan to write and pass the American Health Care Act in secret, with no Senate hearings or public debate. I’m demanding that Senator ___________ withhold consent and shut down Senate business until a public hearing is scheduled. Thank you.”
2) Don’t let the name fool you. The Verify First Act [HR 2581] is both an anti-Affordable Care Act (ACA) and an anti-immigrant bill. The bill would deprive ELIGIBLE immigrant families, including those with citizen kids, from accessing the ACA and seeing a doctor when they get sick. It also would hurt the ACA by keeping young, healthy, immigrants from participating in the marketplaces, something which helps keep premiums down for everyone. HR 2581 is Anti-Immigrant. This is a dangerous bill that puts up roadblocks for both citizens and immigrants to obtain timely, affordable health insurance. It would strip away provisions that provide for a person to obtain subsidies for enrollment in an Affordable Care Act plan while they work with Department of Health and Human Services to verify their U.S. citizenship or immigration status. The people most impacted are U.S. citizens who were born abroad or naturalized. The bill also affects many immigrants, especially those newly arrived or certain victims of domestic violence and trafficking survivors. HR 2581 is an ACA Sabotage Bill. One of the ways that Republicans continue to sabotage the ACA is by adding uncertainty to the system and by trying to de-stabilize the marketplaces. This bill would make it harder for young, healthy, and ELIGIBLE, immigrant families from participating in the marketplaces. This is an attempt to weaken the marketplaces and could lead to higher premiums for everyone. Contact Goodlatte and tell him to vote no on HR 2581.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is ______ and my zip code is ______. I’m contacting Representative Goodlatte today to express my opposition to HR 2581, the so-called “Verify First Act.” This bill is anti-immehrant, and designed to sabotage the ACA. I am strongly opposed to this bill, and ask him to vote no. Thank you.”
3) This one is about our community. If you have not yet taken the #CreateStaunton survey, would you spend 7-10 minutes sometime in the next two days to fill out a survey that will help in the planning for the project? The project for downtown that supports the production, creation, and presentation of arts and culture wall fostering sustainable community.
The link to the survey is right here.
The deadline is June 16. Friday. Please take it today. Thank you so much.
4) UPCOMING EVENT – Friday – 9:00am-Noon – Do Your Job Bob! – 117 South Lewis Street
Please notice the change in time. It has been suggested that there is more traffic during this time. We will also have the added benefit of being in the shade during this time. Bring your protest signs and bring a friend.