1. From 5calls.org: “Nearly every single country in the world (195 in total) has signed the landmark Paris Climate Agreement. In fact, only Syria and Nicaragua have not joined the agreement, and Nicaragua stayed out because the accord wasn’t ambitious enough. Withdrawing from the agreement damages U.S. competitiveness as other countries will take the lead in the global transition to clean energy. It will also do serious damage to U.S. strategic interests around the world by alienating U.S. allies and undermining U.S. policy priorities. And all of that isn’t even touching on the impact pulling out of the deal will now have on climate change. The Paris Agreement is the best chance we have at slowing global warming and protecting our communities from the threats of climate change. As if that’s not enough: more than a thousand businesses and a majority of American voters support the agreement.
Although Trump has decided to withdraw the United States from the Paris Climate Agreement, individual states maintain their control over their own carbon emission standards and clean energy priorities. If enough states commit to maintaining the standards of the Paris Climate Agreement, the collective achievement can offset the adverse effects of the Trump-led national withdrawal. Governors Jerry Brown of California, Andrew Cuomo of New York and Jay Inslee of Washington formed a “United States Climate Alliance” immediately after the announcement of Trump’s Paris Accord decision. Urge Governor McAuliffe to join the cause and continue the fight against climate change.”
- Governor McAuliffe: 804-786-2211 Contact form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _______, and my zip code is ________. I am contacting Governor McAuliffe because I am extremely alarmed by the Trump Administration’s decision to withdraw the US from the Paris Climate Agreement, and I ask that he join the United States Climate Alliance with other state leaders to maintain the climate goals set forth in the agreement. Climate change is a real threat to our safety, our health and our economy, and we must do everything we can to fight it. Thank you.”
2. EVENT – If your Virginia Delegate is currently Steve Landes please come meet and talk with Angela Lynn, running against Steve Landes, for the House of Delegates. Today from 2-4 p.m., Weyers Cave Community Center, exit 235 off of I-81.
3. EVENT – The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Waynesboro has invited the community to a showing of the film, “We the People 2.0, The Second American Revolution”. It will be shown at 7pm on Sunday, June 4th. It is an inspiring film that spotlights the national movement to prioritize the health and well-being of people and the planet over corporate profits. It is being shown in communities across the country. Address: 565 Pine Ave, Waynesboro