1. Representative Goodlatte has sent out a survey on “Sanctuary Cities and Immigration Enforcement,” as part of his email newsletter. With that as the main access point for the survey, results will very likely be skewed in the direction that he would prefer the outcome to be. Help balance the results and make sure that you are heard on these important issues. Take Goodlatte’s survey here.
2. Join Progressive Action, Global Exchange (PAGE)- Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire in a social media campaign on Thursday, May 25 at 11:00 am. We are are near Stuarts Draft, Virginia where Hershey has a manufacturing plant. PAGE-Abidjan is pressuring Hershey’s to publicly denounce President Donald Trump’s harmful stance on the environment as he considers climate change regulation rollbacks, budget cuts to environmental programs, and withdrawal from the Paris Agreement. Big businesses have spoken out against Trump’s approach to climate change. Mars, the world’s leading chocolate company, issued a statement denouncing Trump’s stance on the environment. We want Hershey’s to do the same. It’s time for the company to defend the environment and highlight the impact Trump’s regressive stance on climate change would have on cocoa farmers.
A statement from Hershey’s, the type of major U.S. company Trump supports through his “America First” agenda, would represent important pushback to the Trump administration’s assault on climate change initiatives, like withdrawal from the Paris Agreement and cutting funds to organizations that conduct environmental research and develop environmental policy. We want to send as many messages as possible to Hershey’s today. We’d like everyone to post on social media at 11:00 am EST (16h GMT) so we can be trending. If this isn’t possible for you, however, please join us at whatever time you are able!
- Use #HersheySpeakUp in your tweets and posts; tag @PAGEinAbidjan and they will retweet you
- Post to Hershey’s facebook wall here: https://www.facebook.com/hersheys/
- Suggested tweets:
- .@Hersheys climate change will ruin #cocoa farmers’ livelihoods. Denounce Trump’s anti-environment agenda! #HersheySpeakUp
- .@Hersheys we’re waiting for you to say no to EPA cuts—climate change will hurt W African cocoa crop & farmers #HersheySpeakUp
- .@Hersheys, we see your sustainability commitments and want you to denounce climate change policy rollbacks! #HersheySpeakUp
- .@Hersheys, over 2 million W African #cocoa farmers depend on you to stand up for their crop against #Trump #HersheySpeakUp
- .@Hersheys, @MarsGlobal did why don’t you? Stand up against #Trump climate change policy rollbacks! #HersheySpeakUp ]
3. The country is facing a constitutional crisis, but senators are acting like the problem has already been solved. Call on our senators to support an independent commission so that we can make sure we truly get the facts on this issue. Senator Ben Cardin’s has introduced a bill “to establish an independent commission to examine and report on the facts regarding the extent of Russian official and unofficial cyber operations and other attempts to interfere in the 2016 United States national election, and for other purposes.” (S. 27 here). The bill currently has 26 Democratic co-sponsors. Contact Kaine and Warner and ask them to co-sponsor the bill.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manasses 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit Comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _______, and my zip code is ________. I’m contacting the senator to ask him to co-sponsor Senator Bill Cardin’s bill, S.27. The efforts of the special counsel, and the investigations of the Senate would be immeasurably strengthened by an independent commission working concurrently. The country needs all avenues of investigation pursued. Please co-sponsor this bill. Thank you.”