1. Trump fired FBI Director James Comey yesterday. For context, here is a list of officials Trump has fired: Yates, Bharara, Comey. Here is a list of officials who were investigating Trump: Sally Yates, Preet Bharara, James Comey. It is FAR past time for an independent prosecutor and non-partisan investigation. Trump can’t be allowed to choose who investigates him and his administration. Contact our senators to push for a proper investigation.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manasses 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Warner: Washington DC 202-224-2023, Roanoke 540-857-2676, Abingdon 276-628-8158, Norfolk 757-441-3079, Richmond 804-775-2314, Vienna 703-442-0670. His “Submit Comment” form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _______, and my zip code is ________. I’m asking Senator/Representative ______________ to push for a special prosecutor and an independent commission to investigate the Trump Administration. Yesterday’s firing of Director Comey was a partisan act, and reinforces the idea that we are in need of non-partisan investigations, urgently. Please support this effort. Thank you.”
2. Representative Goodlatte is the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, which means that he is in a position of power to directly affect the effort to appoint a special prosecutor and an independent commission to investigate the Trump Administration and potential ties with Russia. Contact our Congressman to ask him to appoint these.
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _______, and my zip code is ________. I am contacting Representative Goodlatte to demand he work to appoint a special prosecutor and an independent commission to investigate the Trump Administration and any possible ties with Russia. As my elected representative, one of your most important jobs is to ensure that we have free and fair elections. We need to know if the Putin regime interfered with the very foundation of our democracy. We need an Independent Commission, like the 9/11 Commission, to fully investigate possible Russian interference and the role that the Trump campaign may have played and to make the evidence publicly available. We also need an independent prosecutor, after the firing of FBI Director Comey, to ensure that the investigations are independent and proper.”
3. EVENT – 50 Ways Rockbridge – Showing: 50/50: Rethinking the Past, Present, and Future of Women + Power – 5PM, 2 S. Main Street, Lexington (Community Meeting Room)