1. Adapted from 5calls.org: During his press conference about Trump’s tax plan, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin stated definitively, ‘The president has no intention’ of releasing his own tax returns, adding that Trump ‘has given more financial disclosure than anybody else.’ Trump is the first president in 40 years to not release his tax returns, which makes Mnuchin’s claim false. His statement also proves that Trump’s reasoning for not releasing his tax returns never had anything to do with a supposed audit but was instead a blatant voluntary omission and con of the American people. Without seeing Trump’s tax returns, it is unclear how much Trump himself stands to personally gain from his tax reform plan, and the American people deserve to know if their President is prioritizing their financial welfare or his own. Contact Goodlatte and tell him: no tax reform without tax returns!
- Goodlatte: Staunton (540) 885-3861, Harrisonburg (540) 432-2391, Lynchburg (434) 845-8306, Roanoke (540) 857-2672, Washington DC 202-225-5431 and email form here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _________ and my zip code is _______. I’m contacting Rep. Goodlatte to express my deep doubts and concerns over Trump’s proposed tax reform. Since he has refused to release his taxes, it is unclear to the American people just how much he personally would stand to gain by his tax reforms. In the interest of full disclosure, we deserve to see his tax returns before any tax reform is made. Thank you.”
2. Contact Senator Kaine again and let him know that we are vehemently opposed to the ACA repeal.
- Kaine: Washington DC: 202–224–4024, Manasses 703–361–3192, Roanoke 540–682–5693, Virginia Beach 757–518–1674, Richmond 804–771–2221, Abingdon 276–525–4790, Danville 434-792–0976, and his contact form is here.
- Suggested script: “Hello, my name is _______, and my zip code is ________. I cannot overstate the importance of your vote against the repeal of the Affordable Care Act. The unconscionable vote of the House has endangered the well being and lives of millions of Americans. Please publicly commit to vote down the GOP’s AHCA, and then do so. Thank you.”
3. EVENT – VA6CD Indivisible Synergy Summit
Today from 1:00pm-5:30pm in Luray at the Performing Arts Center of Luray, thwre is a summit focused on building relationships and collaboration of activists in Virginia’s 6th Congressional District. Anyone interested is welcome. Check out the Facebook event here.
4. UPCOMING EVENT – Sunday, 5/7, Indivisible Synergy Summit
The second day of the VA6CD Indivisible Synergy Summit is going to be held in Lexington from 1:00pm-5:30pm at the Virginia Horse Center, 487 Maury River Road, Lexington, VA 24450.